Thursday, May 22, 2008

Perilous Times...

So over the last few weeks we here in Korea have discovered another way Koreans take their food seriously.
With the confirmed cases of mad cow in the past, and the new Korean president's apparent desire to lift the ban to promote more FTA friendly stuff with the US has resulted in some serious backlash.(look at me all up on the current events...)
There are some signs in restaurants with American flags and cows with an "X" through them even! Saying something to the affect of, "we don't serve american cows here."
They are very serious and vocally opposed about the idea of eating American beef. I've heard many times in class now, "Teacher, only Korean hamburger. American - "Crazy Cow. Crazy, teacher!! Don't eat(Imagine the finger circling the side of your head motion for crazy...)
haha


Food crisis #2: The Bird Flu. So far there are apparently no confirmed cases in humans in Korea, but I believe there have been some positive bird flu chickens found in Seoul. The other day we had chicken drumsticks and I was so excited! The cafeteria lady then started blabbering off too me (for some reason she still thinks I understand Korean). I looked at my co-teacher for help and she said, "she says that they boiled it in above 90 degree temperatures to make sure that there is no risk of bird flu...I was like, "ok, sure! thanks! Can I have 3??" haha
Also, in the grocery store this week I was looking at buying chicken and one of the grocery store lady's came right over and said, "cheap, very cheap." Sweet, I love a discount even at the risk of getting bird flu...which is less likely then getting hit by a car here!

3 comments:

Mary Lou and Ron Donkersloot said...

Hmmmm I wonder what kind of beef they serve down here in New Mexico... I wonder if I should ask at the resteraunts if it is American beef! ( I think maybe I'll keep my mouth shut...)
Take care!! We love you guys and are praying for you (to avoid the bird flu amomg other things)
Ron

Anonymous said...

Food quality in other countries can be a challenge( even in our own(??!!) . We did hear in the news last week about all the birds in Seoul being killed b/c of the threat of Bird Flu. But wait just a few weeks and you can have some good old Canadian Beef & chicken and whatever else!! Take care, love you lots, Mom & Dad

Anonymous said...

Hello Karen.
Well, I just had fun reading all your blogs...sorry I've been 'off' for a awhile.
We are still so very proud of you and we do keep you in our prayers.
Keep healthy and safe. We certainly asked Uncle Paul what he was feeding his birds that we will buy! :-) John is cautious with his food in Arkansas too, but continues to enjoy variety.
Love, Aunt Diane, Uncle John. Jeff and Dan